Friday, June 02, 2006

Life on the Emerald Mountain

Life on the Emerald Mountain - I could have used the words: moldy, mossy, slimy, drippy, squishy or any other word that indicates wet and green, but 'Emerald' sounds so much better. Here, not just trees are green, but roofs, sidewalks, tree trunks, rocks, anything that is left outside for long. Why do you think it is called the Evergreen State? Believe me, it isn't for the type of tree....not matter what they tell you! I live on the wet side of the Cascade mountains, which means if the sun shines....everything and everyone stops for a 'sun break'. You know those of us from the Northwest by our obsession with catching every last ray of sun. You also know us by our willingness to do anything in the rain: camping, boating, hiking, biking, shopping, golf, or just a gentle stroll. What's a little rain? Just liquid sunshine.

Don't get me wrong....I am not really complaining about all the rain. It means we truly do have emerald lawns, huge roses, rhodedendrans, azaleas, daffodils......you get the picture. Actually, I think if you put a dead stick in the ground here, it would sprout and have flowers within a week. Even I, with my very brown thumb, can grow just about anything....as long as I let God do the watering! Give me a houseplant and I will kill it with kindness within a month.

We also have lots of wildlife out here in the wilds (well, sort of wilds) of the foothills. Besides the four cats who are supposed to be hunting the moles and rabbits, we have seen raccoons, possums, bobcats, lynx, cougars, loads of deer, a brown bear, peacocks (obviously imported) and the assorted livestock of our neighbors. One night at 2 am, we were visited by the neighbor's bull who loved birdseed. After he destroyed our bird feeders, the neighbor decided to turn him into steaks and ribs. That will teach him to feed outside of his species!

Generally speaking....life is great here on Emerald Mountain. I don't think there is anywhere that is prettier and all the rain means lots of rainbows. There is a sermon in that statement...but I will spare the reader for now. May you have lots of sunbreaks in the days ahead!

6 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger dodyb said...

This is, afterall, God's country. And don't let anyone tell ya different :)

Welcome to the blogsphere!!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Kaydub said...

Ahhh! More family blogs to paruse! This will be fun to hear your heart & life-observations ... not to mention the weird sense of humor!

Kevin

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually it was a black bear, not a brown bear....I was the one who saw it. Don't want anyone to think we have grizzly bears.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Don't worry, Lesa. I don't think you're a liar!

Seriously, I need rain. I even kill my outdoor plants. Where's the love?

Congrats on the blog. You'll find we have a great blogmunity!

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Jen said...

By the way, I added you to my blog links! Show them what you're made of!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

A bear is a bear is what I always say. A brown bear, black bear, or panda bear- they can all still rip my face off!!!

Welcome and beware, blogging can take over your life as you know it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home