Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Ten Days in Texas


We recently returned from a family reunion - sort of a rolling visit with parents, siblings, children and grandchildren. Here are a few verbal snapshots of our ten days in Texas:

*The smell of Texas always hits me first - dry and dusty - and reminds me of my childhood visits
*My sister is as funny as ever - why did we fight so much as children? Oh, yeah, it was that bossy older sister, younger sister resisting thing.
*My oldest brother looked good - even if I did make jokes about his birthday. Since he is younger than me, I am allowed.
*It is comforting to know that there is always a domino game or 42 being played somewhere in Texas....even if my husband doesn't get it.
*My kids are still terrific...just older. Not sure what I did right, but I suspect it is an 'in spite of' rather than what I did. God is surely faithful.
*Texas can be really pleasant, especially if you are on a lake and have lots of family to visit with.
*Don't sit on the grass!!!! Chiggers really itch!
*Watching my children's children is exciting and weird at the same time. They are not old enough (or I don't feel old enough) for them to be parents, but they do a terrific job at it.
*Always have enough squirt guns for the whole crew, even if you are not loading them with water. They come in handy when everyone wants to be a cowboy, or spaceman, or generally just to make load shooting noises.
*Teaching someone canasta can be hazardous to your marriage!
*Singing together is fabulous, but watching my father clog dance for his great grandson is mind boggling.
*The swimming pool for our crew is never sedate - instead it is a shark pool, pirate lair, ultimate frisbee/cannonball arena. Hope the other guests at the resort didn't mind.
*Someone always gets sick...not fun for them, but good for grandparents to bond with their children.
*My mantra that you can never have too much food is wrong - you can have too much food.
*Nine children under the age of 8 make a lot of noise!!!!

What a fabulous ten days! We feel really thankful to have had the time to visit, share and generally have fun with everyone. What a great family we have!

2 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger dodyb said...

I would have loved to see your Dad clog dancing!!
I missed you while you were gone but I am really glad you guys had a great time with the every expaning clan..and I don't mean waists :)
Thanks for the verbal snapshots. Enjoyed them all!

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn those kids who get sick, and thank you God for moms who take care of them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home